Mobile World Congress 2014, Barcelona – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY; TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, unveiled plans for BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 12 (BES12), a new enterprise mobility solution that is application-enabled and unifies BES10 and BES5 to one platform. In addition, a new promotional program will provide free migration to BES10, while a new pricing structure enables customers to simplify their enterprise mobility management (EMM) environment to a single trusted provider.
BlackBerry’s enterprise strategy is to extend beyond EMM to an application-based environment and ecosystem that provides a highly productive end-user experience. This will enable organizations to develop and deploy new services to mobile devices faster. By doing so, BlackBerry will target a global market that IDC has forecasted to reach $4.8 billion by 2017.(1)
“BES10 is the only mobility management solution that meets the highest security demands of regulated industries and is also flexible enough for BYOD,” said John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Solutions at BlackBerry. “This value proposition is why the new BES12 architecture is designed to ensure that the more than 80,000 existing BES customers can seamlessly migrate forward. As we execute on our long term vision, we will offer all customers the opportunity to move forward with us. The investment customers make in BlackBerry today will be a valuable investment for the future.”
The Next Generation of BES – BES12
As part of BlackBerry’s long term strategy, the Company is developing the next generation of the BES platform to enable organizations to develop enterprise-grade applications that can be quickly deployed to BlackBerry smartphones and other mobile devices.
In a report by Forrester Research, Inc.(2), authors Christian Kane and Michele Pelino wrote, “The wide variety of mobile devices and increased mobile application adoption require enterprises to broaden their mobility strategy beyond the simple management of devices, to include developing, deploying, securing, and managing mobile applications of all genres and capabilities.”
The new BES12 platform will focus on delivering the following core capabilities:
· Backwards Compatible and Future Proof: BlackBerry OS devices will be supported and the new platform provides the foundation for customers to integrate new mobile endpoints, enhanced user self-service, advanced service management, highly scalable datacenter-grade deployments, and implement active-active high availability clusters for ultimate reliability.
· Enhanced Multi-Platform Support: BlackBerry continues its commitment to providing multi-platform solutions and will add support for Windows Phone 8 in addition to already supported iOS®, Android™ and BlackBerry 10.
· Advanced Service Management: Proactive monitoring and systems tuning delivers a complete end-to-end perspective of the BES management platform and automates problem resolution.
· Connect Cloud and Mobile: The flexibility and scalability of the new BES12 architecture will provide customers with the ability to move from on-premise to the cloud effortlessly and securely. The new platform will support all deployment models, including on-premise, public cloud, private cloud and hybrid environments.
· Mobilize Apps: BlackBerry delivers the tools and integration points to easily develop and deploy securely connected enterprise apps across all supported platforms.
New EZ Pass Program and BES10 Pricing
BlackBerry also announced today a new EZ Pass program that provides free migration for customers to move from BES and other MDM platforms to BES10 as well as a new pricing structure.
For existing BlackBerry customers, the EZ Pass program will match any active existing on-premise BES license and any active license customers may have from other MDM vendors with a corresponding Silver level BES10 perpetual license.(3) Customers will also receive free Advantage-level technical support with their new license to help them get up and running fast.
The new pricing and licensing structure will provide two simple tiers, Silver and Gold. Silver includes full device, application, email and security management for BlackBerry, iOS and Android devices, including the unique BlackBerry® Balance™ technology for BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Gold adds BlackBerry’s Secure Work Space containerization solution for iOS and Android, and advanced BlackBerry 10 management and security features for the most security-conscious organizations, including government, financial services and healthcare.
Enterprise Application Ecosystem
BlackBerry also announced today several new enterprise-grade applications, including:
· The eBBM™ Suite is a new family of products and services that work with BlackBerry smartphones and the BES10 platform to provide enterprise-class mobile messaging.
· SAP has certified SAP Fiori to run on BlackBerry 10 browsers which support HTML5, providing customers with tools and resources to be productive and efficient. SAP Fiori is a collection of apps that represents the new SAP user experience paradigm. It offers various business roles across lines of business in a simple, easy-to-use experience for SAP software functionality.
· GWAVA’s reseller partnership with BlackBerry helps meet the strict compliance requirements of regulated industries. GWAVA’s Retain for BlackBerry solution provides archiving and auditing capabilities for BBM conversations, PIN, SMS/MMS text messages and phone usage data for BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
The BES12 platform is expected to be available by the end of 2014. An early adopter program will be open for participation this summer. For more information on BlackBerry’s enterprise mobility management solutions, please visit www.BES10.com.
The EZ Pass offer including Advantage-level technical support will be available March 31, 2014 through January 31, 2015.(3) Please visit www.blackberry.com/ezpass to apply for the program.
(1) IDC Worldwide Mobile Enterprise Application Development Platform 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares, doc #24418, November 2013. $4.8B in reference to the Mobile Enterprise Application Platform market.
(2) “Apps Everywhere: Understanding The Need For Mobile Application Management”, Forrester Research, May 30, 2013.
(3) Terms and conditions apply
(4) Availability and timing will vary by country and channel partner
A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry® revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by BlackBerry Limited in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that BlackBerry believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause BlackBerry's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of BlackBerry's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on BlackBerry's forward-looking statements. BlackBerry has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
BlackBerry and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. BlackBerry is not responsible for any third-party products or services.