Cleveland Man Sentenced to 17 1/2 Years in Prison for Firearms Trafficking

ATF's picture

U.S. Department of Justice

United States Attorney
Northern District of Ohio

Northern District of Ohio

 

For Immediate Release

April 21, 2015


Steven M. Dettelbach, United States Attorney

Contact: Mike Tobin
(216) 622-3651

Cleveland Man Sentenced to 17 1/2 Years in Prison for Firearms Trafficking

A Cleveland man was sentenced to 17 1/2 years in prison for firearms trafficking, said U.S. Attorney Steven M. Dettelbach and Donald Soranno, Special Agent in Charge of ATF’s Columbus Field Division.

Moises Perez, 45, previously pleaded guilty to one count of being a felon in possession of firearms. U.S. District Judge Patrician A. Gaughan determined Perez should be classified as an armed career criminal and sentenced him to 210 months in federal prison.

Perez sold a Ruger 9 mm pistol, an H&R .22-caliber revolver and 94 rounds of ammunition to an undercover agent in August 2014. Perez was forbidden from possessing firearm or ammunition because of nearly two-dozen convictions, including felony convictions for burglary, attempted felonious assault, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, attempted felonious assault with a firearm, attempted intimidation, drug trafficking, robbery and being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to court documents.

“Cleveland is a safer city because this defendant is off the street,” Dettelbach said. “He has a history of violent crime going back 30 years. This operation is the result of tremendous work by the ATF, Cleveland police and all our law-enforcement partners.

“This case represents one more step to create a ripple effect to stifle violent crime,” Soranno said. “Individuals who are illegally possessing firearms and specifically engaging in illegally trafficking firearms are at the epicenter of violence in our communities.  By attacking the tools of the trade and removing illegal firearms from the streets, we all help make our streets safer for everyone.”

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brian M. McDonough and Kelly L. Galvin. It was part of “Operation Samson II,” an enhanced enforcement initiative targeting the criminal possession, use and sale of firearms in Greater Cleveland. The operation resulted in 60 people being indicted and 110 firearms seized. 

This initiative was a cooperative effort between the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Cleveland Division of Police, the Ohio Adult Parole Authority, the U.S. Marshals Service, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office.

 

Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.

Comments

Post new comment

3 + 9 =

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.