FEMA Awards $1,302,573 Grant to the City of Dearborn

FEMA's picture

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,302,573 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the City of Dearborn, Mich., for a stormwater diversion mitigation project. The project includes the installation of two new shut-off gates in the West Dearborn Sewage District and the construction of an overflow structure.

The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program helps create safer communities by reducing loss of life and property damage,” said James K. Joseph, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The improvements to the city’s stormwater infrastructure will reduce damage and lessen the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“Hazard mitigation projects save lives and protect property,” said Capt. Chris A. Kelenske, Deputy State Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security and commander of the Michigan State Police, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division. “I strongly encourage Michigan communities to apply for hazard mitigation grant dollars to enhance the safety of Michigan's residents by being better prepared before the next emergency or disaster happens.”

HMGP provides grants to state, local and tribal governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1,736,764 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $434,191, will be provided by the City of Dearborn. 

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at , twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.

Comments

Post new comment

4 + 6 =

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.