FEMA Awards $238,219 Grant to City of Savanna: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish eight flood prone structures

FEMA's picture
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionPDF versionPDF version

CHICAGO –The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $238,219 Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Savanna, Ill., for the acquisition and demolition of eight residential structures in the Plum River floodplain.Following demolition, these properties will be maintained as permanent open space in the community.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III. “The acquisition and demolition of these structures permanently removes them from the floodplain and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

“Approval of this grant is good news for these Savanna residents who have been devastated by flooding many times in the past,” said Jonathon Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. “The grant will enable them to move out of the Plum River floodplain and avoid future heartache and property losses.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $317,625 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $79,406, will be provided by the city of Savanna.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

News Source : FEMA Awards $238,219 Grant to City of Savanna: Hazard mitigation funds will be used to acquire and demolish eight flood prone structures
Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.