Non-U.S. Citizens May be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Federal Emergency Management Agency's picture
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Arkansas storm survivors who are in the United States legally, but who are not U.S. citizens, may be eligible for disaster assistance for damage from the tornadoes and severe storms that hit Arkansas on April 27, according to officials from the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

We want to help everyone who may qualify for disaster assistance, regardless of their national origin,” said State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell of ADEM. “We encourage anyone in Faulkner, Pulaski, Randolph and White Counties who might be eligible for disaster assistance to apply.”

Applicants must be U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals or qualified aliens to receive federal monetary assistance. The legal status of qualified aliens will not be jeopardized by applying for aid.

Qualified aliens include:

  • Individuals with Lawful Permanent Residency (holders of “green cards”);
  • Persons with refugee or asylum status;
  • Persons whose deportation has been withheld;
  • Persons on parole in the U.S. for at least one year for humanitarian purposes;
  • Persons with conditional entry;
  • Cuban or Haitian entrants; and
  • Persons with petitions for relief based on domestic violence against spouses or children;
  • Persons subjected to severe forms of human trafficking, including those with "T" and "U" visas.

Disaster assistance may also be available if someone in the household is entitled to it. For example, a parent or guardian who is not eligible for assistance can still apply on behalf of a minor child who is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien. The guardian only certifies for the child. Additionally, low-interest disaster assistance loans for homeowners, renters and businesses may be available from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Undocumented immigrants from a household with no one eligible for FEMA assistance may still be eligible for assistance from voluntary agencies that deliver humanitarian services without regard to citizenship or immigration status.  They may also be eligible for short-term, non-cash aid from FEMA, such as disaster legal services.

“Even if people are in doubt, they should still apply,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Timothy J. Scranton. “FEMA will work with them to determine their eligibility.”

To register for FEMA assistance, tornado survivors can call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech- or hearing-impaired.  If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual registration assistance is available at both numbers. Survivors may also apply online at  By smartphone or tablet, use

The deadline to apply for Individual Assistance is June 30, 2014.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) is the state's homeland security and preparedness agency. The agency works to identify and lessen the effects of emergencies, disasters and threats to Arkansas by developing effective prevention, preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery actions for all disasters and emergencies.  For additional information, contact ADEM at (501) 683-6700 or visit the website at

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. Follow us on Twitter at femaregion6, the R6 Hurricane Preparedness website at and the FEMA Blog at For information on rebuilding and repairing safer and stronger, visit

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants can go to or call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).

Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.


Post new comment

2 + 8 =

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Page execution time was 567.71 ms.

Memory usage:

Memory used at: devel_init()=2.13 MB, devel_shutdown()=22.58 MB.