XL Group the insurer/reinsurer whose Dublin office is located at the architecturally significant address 8 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin, has announced it is to host an exhibition of artwork entitled ‘Preserve & Protect: Challenge & Innovate’ from which it will also purchase a number of works created in and associated with Ireland.
No stranger to the arts world, XL Group insures some of the leading galleries, exhibitions and art collections around the world. It is calling on Irish artists and galleries to submit work for consideration to its panel of local experts.
A shortlist of approximately 15-20 works will be exhibited at 8 St Stephen’s Green during the last two weeks of May 2014 and a number of works will be purchased by the Group. The exhibition will be seen by XL Group staff, clients and wider stakeholders. Members of the public can view the exhibition by prior appointment during office hours.
The submission process, exhibition and purchase of works is being supported and managed by the non-profit organisation Business to Arts, which works across the arts and business sectors to help develop creative partnerships.
Andrew Hetherington, Project Director of Business to Arts said: “ Following an extended period when the Irish art market has suffered both from a reduction in State and local funding, along with a significant reduction in the resources of collectors, we’re seeing a renewed interest and corporates are beginning to invest once again in purchasing art. XL Group is leading the way with their open submission exhibition from which the staff will be involved in selecting work they love for the company to own.”
The selection panel for the exhibition includes local art experts Sean Kissane, Curator, Exhibitions, Irish Museum of Modern Art and Rayne Booth, Programme Curator, Temple Bar Gallery & Studios. Also joining the panel is XL Group’s Jennifer Schipf, Vice President of Fine Art & Specie.
• Artists and galleries wishing to submit artworks for consideration must complete the entry form which is available to download on http://xlgroup.com/exhibition2014 and upload images of the submitted work(s).
• The submission period will run from March 19 – 5pm on April 11.
• Artists must be 18 years of age (or older), and must be Irish or based on the island of Ireland for at least 3 years. They must be undertaking or have completed their primary degree in a Visual Arts discipline or have been working as a professional artist for at least three years.
• All pieces submitted for consideration must be for sale, and should be wall-based, maximum dimension 200cms x 200cms.
• Artists whose work is exhibited but is not purchased will receive a fee for their participation.
• Works that have already been publicly displayed are welcome.
About XL Group plc
XL Group plc (NYSE:XL), through its subsidiaries, is a global insurance and reinsurance company providing property, casualty and specialty products to industrial, commercial and professional firms, insurance companies and other enterprises throughout the world. XL is the company clients look to for answers to their most complex risks and to help move their world forward. To learn more, visit xlgroup.com
XL Group is the global brand used by XL Group plc’s insurance and reinsurance subsidiaries.