Men's Basketball - Fri, Dec. 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM
ST. LOUIS, Mo. – Saturday's men's basketball game featuring Missouri Baptist Spartans taking on in-town rival (RV) Harris-Stowe State Hornets has been named the American Midwest Conference (AMC) Game of the Week.
Game details: Date: Saturday, Dec. 2
Time: 3:00 PMT
Location: Emerson Performance Center in St. Louis, Mo.
Live Stats Live Video
Scouting Missouri Baptist Spartans:
- Enters the game with an overall record of 8-0 and 3-0 on the season.
- Leads the all-time series, 13-8 over Harris-Stowe State.
- One of three teams in the AMC that has not lost a game this season.
- The Spartans are coming into the game after a 57-56 win over William Woods on Thursday evening.
- 3-0 in true road games.
- Averaging 90 points per game.
- Holding opponents to 60.5 points per game.
- Ranks in the top-10 in the NAIA in eight different categories – No. 2 in blocks per game (5.6), No. 3 in defensive field goal percentage (35.7-percent), No. 4 in scoring defense per game (60.5), No. 5 in total blocks (45), No. 6 in total rebounds per game (46.5), No. 7 in defensive rebounds per game (33.1) and total rebound margin (13.1) and No. 9 in scoring margin (26.5).
- Fitzgerald Hopkins leads the Spartans, averaging 16.5 points per game.
- Johnny Benson is second on the team with 13.5 points per game scoring average.
- Benson leads the team, averaging six rebounds per game.
- As a team, the Spartans have 123 assists to 107 turnovers.
- The Spartans are shooting 49.7-percent (271-of-545) from the field and are holding opponents to 35.7-percent shooting (178-of-499).
Scouting Harris-Stowe State:
- 4-4 on the year and 2-1 in AMC play.
- Have won two-in-a-row and three-of-its-last-four games.
- Snapped a three-game losing streak to Missouri Baptist last season, with a 77-52 win on Feb. 18.
- Only AMC loss was by two points in overtime.
- 0-4 when allowing 78 points-or-more.
- Averaging 75.8 points per game and allowing 75.8 points per game.
- The Spartans average 5.7 blocks per game, which is the tops in the NAIA.
- They also rank third in the nation in total blocks with 46.
- Deandre Clark leads the team in scoring, averaging 14 points per game.
- Dwane Miner is second, scoring 11.4 points per contest.
- The Hornets are outscoring its opponents 285-230 in the first half.
- Harris-Stowe is shooting 40.2-percent (209-of-520) from the field.
- Altez Davis is the team leader in rebounds, averaging 6.4 boards per game.
Around the AMC – Men's Basketball (All stats are as of Dec. 1 morning):
- Central Baptist (Ark.) leads the AMC in scoring offense per game, averaging 95.0 points per game.
- Missouri Baptist is allowing just 60.5 points per game and is outscoring its opponents by 29.5 points per game, both tops in the AMC.
- Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) leads the conference with a 73.7-percent (87-of-118) free throw percentage. Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) is second shooting 73.5-percent (136-of-185).
- Columbia has the highest field goal percentage in the AMC at 51.4-percent on 304-592 from the floor.
- Martavian Payne holds the individual game-high in points in the AMC, scoring 32 against Freed-Hardeman on Nov. 18.
- Payne is averaging 26.5 points per game, leading the conference.
- Shackeel Butters leads the conference with three double-doubles. Five players have recorded two double-doubles this season.
- AMC Men's Basketball Players of the Week Composite Results:
- Week 1 (Nov. 6) – Preston Whitfield, Columbia
- Week 2 (Nov. 13) – Preston Whitfield, Columbia
- Week 3 (Nov. 20) – Shackeel Butters, Williams Baptist
- Week 4 (Nov. 27) – Fitzgerald Hopkins, Missouri Baptist
- Other AMC Conference games this week:
- Thurs., Nov. 30 – (RV) Harris-Stowe State def. St. Louis Pharmacy, 79-71
- Thurs., Nov. 30 – Central Baptist def. (17) Park, 71-66
- Thurs., Nov. 30 – Hannibal-LaGrange def. Williams Baptist, 78-60
- Thurs., Nov. 30 – Missouri Baptist def. (RV) William Woods, 57-56
- Thurs., Nov. 30 – (7) Columbia def. Lindenwood-Belleville, 89-87
- Sat., Dec. 2 – St. Louis Pharmacy at Lindenwood-Belleville, 3:00 PM
- Sat., Dec. 2 – (17) Park at Lyon, 3:00 PM
- Sat., Dec. 2 – Freed-Hardeman at Hannibal-LaGrange, 3:00 PM
- Sat., Dec 2 – Missouri Baptist at (RV) Harris-Stowe State, 3:00 PM
- Sat., Dec. 2 – (7) Columbia at (RV) William Woods, 3:00 PM
- AMC Men's Basketball Standings:
(RV) William Woods
St. Louis Pharmacy
For a complete list of statistical leaders, click here.
For more information on AMC Men's Basketball, click here.