CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $80,795 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Stearns County Minn., for the construction of a safe room at Melrose Mobile Home Park.
“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The construction of thissafe room will protect the lives of vulnerable citizens by providing a secure location to seek shelter from tornados and other high wind events."
“People in Stearns County will be safer thanks to local leaders who joined with state and federal partners on this project,” said Kris Eide, director of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. “Tornado safe rooms are one way communities across the state are reducing the risk that comes with disasters. We’re encouraging more cities and counties to apply for grants that will help them protect their residents.”
HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMAwill pay $80,795, or 75 percent of the eligible project cost. Stearns County will contribute the remaining 25 percent, or $26,932.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.