Story Number: NNS140905-03Release Date: 9/5/2014 12:32:00 PM
From the Office of the Chief of Information
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- This week's overview of alleged sexual assaults was compiled based on 25 initial reports across the Navy from August 25 - 31. This timeframe reflects only the receipt of the initial reports; four of the reported incidents occurred during this period, 11 occurred outside of the report period and 10 unknown. Each report will be fully investigated. Looking at this snapshot in time, we see the following:
* Sixteen reports were from events that occurred on-base, six from an event that occurred off-base and three unknown.
* Sixteen of the alleged offenders were male and four unknown.
* Among the 20 alleged offenders, one was an officer, one was a midshipmen, three were petty officers, five were E3 and below and 10 unknown.
* Seventeen of the reported incidents were alleged to be service member on service member, one service member on non-service member and seven unknown.
* Among the alleged victims, one was a midshipmen, six were petty officers, 15 were E3 and below, two were civilian and one unknown. Of these reported, the alleged victims were 17 females and eight males.
To contact a Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at the Department of Defense Safe Help Line, call (877) 995-5247.
To learn more about Navy's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response program, visit www.sapr.navy.mil