Story Number: NNS140725-05Release Date: 7/25/2014 10:30:00 AM
From the Office of the Chief of Information
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- This week's overview of alleged sexual assaults was compiled based on 17 initial reports across the Navy from July 14 - 20. This timeframe reflects only the receipt of the initial reports; three of the reported incidents occurred during this period, 12 occurred outside of the report period and two unknown. Each report will be fully investigated. Looking at this snapshot in time, we see the following:
* Six reports were from events that occurred on-base, five from an event that occurred off-base and six unknown.
* All 17 of the alleged offenders were male.
* Among the 17 alleged offenders, one was an officer, three were chief petty officers, 12 were petty officers and one unknown.
* Fourteen of the reported incidents were alleged to be service member on service member, two non-service member on service member and one unknown.
* Among the alleged victims, two were officers, five were petty officers, 10 were E3 and below and two were civilian. Of these reported, the alleged victims were 16 females and three males.
To contact a Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at the Department of Defense Safe Help Line, call (877) 995-5247.
To learn more about Navy's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response program, visit www.sapr.navy.mil.