$5.5 Billion investment in South Australia is at risk following the release of the Warburton Review into the Renewable Energy Target.
“This Review report is devastatingly bad news for South Australia,” said Craig Wilkins, Chief Executive of Conservation SA, the state’s peak environment body.
“South Australia has reaped the benefits of the Renewable Energy Target over the last decade, with enormous investment in wind and solar infrastructure, particularly in regional SA.
“This clean power investment has not only reduced our carbon impact, it’s created thousands of jobs and pushed down wholesale power prices, without any supply problems.
“Because of our state’s success in attracting renewable energy investment, credible commentators are now suggesting that SA is poised to make the leap to 100% renewable energy in less than a decade. That simply won’t happen without the Renewable Energy Target.
“It’s ideological madness to attack a previously bipartisan policy that delivers so much,” he said.
According to the Australian Energy Market Operator, almost 1 in 4 SA households now have solar panels on their roof, with the figure even higher in rural, Coalition held seats.
A report released by Solar Citizens on Wednesday showed that 2 out of the top 3 solar electorates in the country were in SA, with 31% of households in the seat of Mayo held by Jamie Briggs going solar.
“South Australian voters have every right to feel betrayed. SA Coalition MPs reassured the public before the last Federal Election they wouldn’t touch the RET.
“Now we find that our state will be one of the biggest losers from the Warburton Review.
“We call on all South Australian Federal representatives to stand up for their state and reject this attack on the RET,” Mr Wilkins said.