Wisconsin Public Service Encourages Customers to Make Winter Safety Checks as we Prepare for Below Zero Temperatures

Integrys Energy Group's picture
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Green Bay, WI - As weather reports indicate another round of below zero temperatures is expected, Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) encourages residents to put 'safety first' and offers the following information to ensure customers stay safe and warm.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning can result from improper and/or inefficient burning of natural gas which can result from blocked furnace vents and/or insufficient ventilation. CO is an invisible, tasteless, odorless, poisonous gas that cannot be detected by human senses. At high concentrations, carbon monoxide can be fatal within minutes. Customers who experience flu-like symptoms should seek fresh air and immediately call 911.

Wisconsin law requires every home or apartment to have a CO detector within their residence.

Customers with high-efficiency furnaces and water heaters that vent through the wall (not into a chimney) should be wary of a buildup of snow or ice outside around the vent. High-efficiency equipment provides great savings, but a blocked vent could cause the heating system to malfunction by shutting off or, in extreme cases, leading to an accumulation of carbon monoxide in the home. Customers should check the outside vents to make sure they aren't covered with snow or ice. Snow and high winds can provide conditions that result in blocked vents.

WPS advise customers to carefully clear the area around their natural gas meters, regulators and piping by brushing away the deep snow to help ensure their proper and continuous operation. Deep snow and ice buildup around gas meters can lead to meter damage, equipment malfunction and/or a disruption in service.

After a period of snow accumulation and warmer daytime temperatures, which are followed by freezing nighttime temperatures, residents should be on the lookout for the formation of icicles on roofs. If broken off, larger icicles formed above natural gas meters and regulators could damage the meters, regulators and piping, causing them to malfunction or, in extreme cases, leak.

Never use an oven or stove flame as a means to heat your home. Natural gas ovens produce carbon monoxide that will escape into the house when the oven door is left open. In addition, the oven could overheat and cause a fire.

News Source : Wisconsin Public Service Encourages Customers to Make Winter Safety Checks as we Prepare for Below Zero Temperatures

Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.


Post new comment

1 + 0 =

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.