Zach Braff, star of the hit TV show

Miramax Films's picture
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionPDF versionPDF version

Scrubs and filmmaker of the beloved Garden State, has just released a full-length trailer for his second film, Wish I Was Here. What started as a Kickstarter project just over a year ago has now become a reality. The film premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and stars Braff, Kate Hudson and Mandy Patinkin.

Wish I Was Here is the story of Aidan Bloom, a struggling actor, father and husband, who at 35 is still trying to find his identity; a purpose for his life. He winds up trying to home school his two children when his father can no longer afford to pay for private education and the only available public school is on its last legs. Through teaching them about life his way, Aidan gradually discovers some of the parts of himself he couldn’t find.

In an interview with Vanity Fair, Hudson says it was the father-son story that affected her the most when she first read the script.

The story just hit a nerve with me. Being so close with Zach, there’s something about the way that he and his brother wrote it. People don’t make these stories very often. They don’t know where to box them in.

The new trailer is heavy on plot and offers more great music from The Shins and some beautiful cinematography from the Garden State DP, Lawrence Sher. Take a look!

Garden State fans, what do you think? Let Zach know in the comments below.

Wish I Was Here goes into limited release 7/18.

| film summary via

1. :

May 19, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Zach- Garden State is one of my all time favorite movies. Through this trailer alone I know this one will be amazing as well. You are a very gifted writer and director. Not to even mention actor. Good job.

2. :

May 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Looks awesome I'm a 34yo guy and I already feel the movie speaking to me just like garden state did about a decade ago

3. :

May 19, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Can't wait to see it! I really hope it comes to Colombia. :)

4. :

May 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I love the way Zach brings his own questions and realisations of life into reality, using ingenious writing and screenplay in such a way that everyone's minds are blown. Great choice of Acting talent, new and old as always, which is a pleasure to see in modern film. In my uneducated yet somehow educated opinion this film looks like a beautiful and strengthened follow up to Garden State. Going to be interesting how big this kicks off.

5. :

May 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Zach, you have done it again. Love the soundtrack, the theme ... going through a similar thing with my mother and my family who don't seem to be able to rally to the cause of supporting her, opting to ignore the painful reality, rather than responding as they should to our call for bravery. Good luck with the movie. I will be watching here in Australia when it is released.

6. :

May 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Maybe we can JUST be regular people. Maybe letting go of the hero complex and just being saved is really what we were supposed to do, after all. Very good! I am looking forward to this tremendously. Garden state is my favorite movie. The idea of aging along with a similar character from your first movie is also an excellent idea. I am so pleased this has been completed.

7. :

May 19, 2014 at 10:31 pm

You've done it again! Don't ever stop making movies. You really know how to touch people's hearts. Plus you know great music when you hear it. Thanks.

8. :

May 19, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I cant wait!!! Also excited about another kickass soundtrack too. Thank you for being so real. It gives me hope when needed.

9. :

May 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Im so excited!!!! Garden State is my favorite movie and this one looks amazing as well! Plus I love that Donald Faison is in it :D

10. :

May 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

High hopes for this film. High hopes indeed! Looking forward to seeing it.

News Source : Zach Braff, star of the hit TV show
Copy this html code to your website/blog to embed this press release.